Wednesday, January 27, 2010

[HK Dec09] Lucky Dessert

Lucky Dessert
Jaffe Rd, Causeway Bay
(opp World Trade Centre)

Lucky Dessert HK

Mango pomelo dessert
Mango and pomelo dessert

Lucky's signature dessert.

I guess it's the syrup-ed mango pieces that set it apart from other dessert shops. Most shops use fresh mango pieces which I personally prefer.

I can only think of one reason for Lucky to use stewed mangoes in syrup. To prolong the shelf or fridge life.

It has lots of followers but sadly I am not one of them. It was just like eating canned mango.

Durian dessert
Durian and pomelo dessert

Another signature item. But to me the sour and tart pomelo does not go well with durian. I felt like eating tempoyak (fermented durian) in a dessert. If you don't find that scary, that means you have no idea what tempoyak is or how it taste and smell like.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of tempoyak especially eaten with ambuyat (sago gruel) but to find something similar in a dessert?? It's like having fermented shrimp paste sweet soup.

This is a VERY popular dessert shop (with several branches) in HK, just not my cup of tea that's all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - wanted to send you an email regarding publishing some of your content. Would be great if you could email me your contact details to eirin.mcghee@ourbrisbane.com Thanks!