Thursday, July 07, 2005

Braised Chicken Wings and Stir Fried Asparagus


I cook braised chicken wings and eggs once a week.

Chicken wings are cheap here, big packet about 10 wings only cost a little over £1. The ang moh is only familiar with buffalo wings and KFC's hot wings. But NOBODY cook these at home so supermarket sells them cheap cos NOBODY wants them except me, hehe.

I retain some of the braising liquid each time I cook for next use, I call it my 'Thousand Year Old Braise' liquid. The next time I cook, I just add some more sugar and dark soy sauce and water to taste and also some five spice powder and 1 star anise. This is the secret of shops selling braising stuff, the pot containing the braising liquid is never away from heat, of course we cannot do this at home, or else the house may 'botaizi' caught fire also mong-cha-cha.

Asparagus is in season now, they are never cheap. I saw the bunch sui-sui and got discount, I buy lor. I cook them with garlic and japanese soy sauce flavoured with bonito. Do not overcook, or else they will become limp and tasteless.

Tip: To see if asparagus is fresh and sweet, check the bottom of the stem, if dry buang back, if look a bit wet-wet, buang into trolley.

No comments: